Management Committee – COST Action no. IS1405

Management Committee Meeting – agenda
COST Action no. IS1405
Action Title: Building Intrapartum Research Through Health – an interdisciplinary whole system approach to understanding and contextualising physiological labour and birth (BIRTH)
Venue: Lancaster, United Kingdom from 5th October 2015 to 7th October 2015
Meeting to be held Wednesday 7th October 2015 am

1. Welcome to participants
2. Adoption of agenda
3. Approval of minutes and matters arising of last meeting
4. Update from the Action Chair
a. Status of Action, including participating countries
* New MC observer member
b. Action budget status
c. STSM status and new applications
5. Promotion of gender balance and of Early Stage Researchers (ESR)
6. Update from the Grant Holder
7. Update from the COST Association
8. Follow-up of MoU objectives
a. Progress report of working groups
9. Scientific planning
a. Scientific strategy
b. Action Budget Planning
c. Long-term planning (including anticipated locations and dates of future activities)
d. Dissemination planning (Publications and outreach activities)
10. Requests for new members
11. Non-COST applications to the Actions
12. AOB
a. managing working group members
b. possible collaborations
13. Location and date of next meeting
14. Summary of MC decisions
15. Closing


COST Action no. IS1405 – minutes
Action Title: Building Intrapartum Research Through Health – an interdisciplinary whole system approach to understanding and contextualising physiological labour and birth (BIRTH)
Venue: Lancaster, United Kingdom from 5th October 2015 to 7th October 2015.
Meeting held Wednesday 7th October 2015 am

1. Welcome to participants
2. Adoption of agenda
Agenda adopted
3. Approval of minutes and matters arising of last meeting
Minutes previously circulated were adopted
4. Update from the Action Chair
a. Status of Action, including participating countries
There are currently 28 countries in the Action and Australia & South Africa are International Partner countries with Chile soon to follow.
b. Action budget status
Due to changes in the financial organisation of COST the initial budget for the year has been divided into two time periods, one ending in September 2015 & the other running from October to December 2015. The second year budget will begin in January 2016.
c. STSM status and new applications
There have been 4 STSMs completed, with a report received from 1 participant. The STSM committee is managing this process in line with the previous Management Committee agreement that they should do this. There are two more STSMs which will take place in November/December 2015. The second call for STSMs is out with a deadline for applications of 18th December 2015. All STSMs have to take place between countries that are part of this COST Action. The number of STSMs to be held next year will be sent to the Management Committee for ratification once the new workplan/budget has been drafted.
5. Promotion of gender balance and of Early Stage Researchers (ESR)
It was noted that this Action has a high number of ESRs in its membership and a high percentage of female participants. It also has members for a wide range of European countries included those targeted by COST as part of the inclusiveness agenda. It was noted that the Action needs to develop a plan for inclusiveness the progress of which will be reported on at each Management Committee meeting.
Action: SD and MCB to draft an inclusiveness plan by Nov 30th 2015 for subsequent scrutiny by MC e-vote
6. Update from the Grant Holder  
This item has been covered above.
7. Update from the COST Association
This was presented by Dr. Luule Mizera (slides attached)
Key issues for the Action included;
* Any applications for membership from countries must be agreed by the Management Committee
* Changes in monitoring procedures for the Action
* Actions need to have an plan to address the COST inclusiveness agenda
8. Follow-up of MoU objectives
a. Progress report of working groups
Working Groups 1 – 6 and the STSM and ESR group presented their progress reports (reports attached)
Actions: ESR group want to set up a closed Facebook page and wanted approval for this. Approval was given, and they were reminded that they needed to conform to the COST social media rules.
Working Group leaders were reminded that they needed to provide the following to meet the MOU targets.
* Working group reports
* Biographies of all members
All WG leaders to provide this information by November 30th 2015
b. Report from Activist group
The group reported on their meeting and their objectives to link research to activism and change within countries. They proposed that Michelle Sadler & Ibone Olza would offer a one hour workshop on the idea of Obstetric Violence at the next meeting. It was suggested that this group was well placed to progress the idea of the Community of Practice discussed in the MOU.
Action: It was agreed that the proposed workshop would be included in the next set of meetings in Bergen in 2016. MCB to inform the Local Organiser for the Bergen meeting.
c. BBB (Babies Born Better survey) update
The Management Committee agreed that BBB was relevant for the Action, and that it should therefore be added to the agenda and the programme for future meetings.
Action: MCB to ensure that BBB is added to the relevant working documents for the Action
9. Scientific planning
a. Scientific strategy
Discussion around the Action plans revealed that the Action still needs expertise in health economics, lawyers, and human rights experts.Following discussion about the scientific activities underway and planned in each WG, it was agreed that the following actions are necessary to progress this work, and to ensure that next years Action Plan can cover what is needed, and that it can ensure adequate funding to achieve these plans:
Actions: All Working Group leads to;
1. Consider what expertise gaps they may have within their groups which they need filling to help them meet the MOU goals, to consider individuals who may fill these gaps, and to inform Marie-Claire of both the gaps and any suitable individuals by Friday November 13th.
2. To send their Working Group plans for year 2 to the Action Chair by Friday November 13th to allow her to plan the budget/workplan for 2016. Each WG lead to identify 3 key objectives to be achieved by their WG by December 2016, and three deliverables that will show these objectives have been achieved, within the scope of the plans for 2016 (Training School, two MC meetings, Workshops, STSMs and open access funds).
b. Action Budget Planning
The budget for next year will begin in January 2016. In year 2 we are committed to hold 2 MC meetings and one Training School, and to have a minimum of 6 STSMs plus open access publications & support for the Action website. The final draft of the workplan and budget will be circulated to the MC following receipt of the information under a above, with a view to sign off and submission to cost HQ by mid December 2015 at the latest.
Action: SD to draft workplan and send to MC by Nov 20th.
MC members to reply by Nov 30th
SD to submit final version to COST by Dec 14th
C. Long-term planning (including anticipated locations and dates of future activities)
It was agreed that the next MC meeting will be held in Bergen, Norway 9th-11th may 2016.
There will be a Workshop on Obstetric Violence presented by Michelle Sadler (date for this to be decided with the Local Organiser).
The Training School will be held in Valencia Spain in 2016 organised by Maria Carmen Collado.
The final date and the official designation of Local Organisers in each case will be agreed by the Management Committee by a later e-vote.
Other locations offered for meetings include Hungary (autumn 2016), Italy, Malta and Cyprus.
Actions: MCB to set dates for e-votes, and e-votes to be run
MCB to chase offers from Hungary, Italy, Malta and Cyprus
d. Dissemination planning (Publications and outreach activities)
The Management Committee agreed that the Core Group could select which papers would be put forwards for open access funding in this budgetary year (ending December 2015).It was agreed that the Core group suggestions would then be sent to the Management Committee for ratification by e-vote.
The criteria agreed was:
1 readiness for publication
2 degree to which the paper can be attributed to the Action and Working Group(s)
3 extent of likely impact/ readership
4 evidence of the paper being interdisciplinary/cross country – at least 2 COST countries must be represented. (post meeting note – under cost rules this has to be at least 3 of the participating cost countries).
Each item to be scored 0-4 (where 0= does not meet the criteria at all, and 4=meets criteria fully)
The MC agreed to prioritise funding for increased numbers of Open Access publications if this is possible within the 2016 budget after allocations have been made for the meetings and STSMs that are already in the MoU agreement
Action: MCB to send criteria and papers to Core Group for decision
Core Group to respond
MC e-vote to be set up to confirm the decision
10. Non-COST applications to the Actions
South Africa and Australia are now confirmed. Chile is still pending
11. AOB
a. Managing Working Group members
In order to ensure that all Working Groups have sufficient members attending a meeting the Management Committee agreed that if there was funding for non Management Committee members to attend MC meetings,  places should be allocated to ensure that all WG’s have a minimum of 6 members attending, if possible
Action: WG leads to ensure that a minimum of 6 members for each WG attend face to face meetings where the funding/group membership permits
b. Possible collaborations
Nothing to report at this time
c. New membership
It was noted that the Action supported the application of Yoana Stancheva to become Management Committee member for Bulgaria, subject to approval of the Bulgarian COST country coordinator
12. Location and date of next meeting
The Management Committee agreed that the next meeting will take place in Bergen, Norway between the 9th-11th May 2016 and that Anne Britt Vika Nilsen will the Local Organiser of the meeting.
Action: MC to liaise with Anne Britt Vika Nilsen re the next MC meeting
13. Summary of MC decisions
* The MC ratified the MoU plans for two MC meetings and a Training School for 2016, and for a minimum of 6 STSMs (with more if the budget allows for this)
* The MC agreed on the following venues and Local Organisers for the next MC meeting and for the 2016 Training School
Meeting 9th-11th May 2016 Bergen, Norway, Local Organiser Anne Britt Vika Nilsen
Training School, 31st Oct -2nd December, 2016 Valencia Spain, Local organiser
Maria Carmen Collado.
* The MC agreed to prioritise funding for increased numbers of Open Access publications if this is possible within the 2016 budget after allocations have been made for the meetings and STSMs that are already in the MoU agreement.
* The MC agreed that the final draft of the workplan and budget will be circulated to the Management Committee for agreement by e-vote before November 30th.
* The date of the autumn 2016 MC meeting, and the associated Local Organiser, will be agreed by the Management Committee by an e-vote.
* The MC agreed that there will be a Workshop on obstetric violence at the next MC meeting in Bergen
* The Management Committee agreed that BBB should be linked to the new Action and that it should be added to the agenda and the programme for future meetings.
* The Management Committee agreed that the Core Group could select which papers would be put forwards for open access funding in this budgetary year (ending December 2015).It was agreed that the Core group suggestions would then be sent to the Management Committee for ratification by e-vote.
* In order to ensure that all Working Groups have sufficient members attending a meeting the Management Committee agreed that if there was funding for non Management Committee members to attend meetings places should be allocated to ensure that all groups have 6 members.
* The MC agreed that the ESR group can set up a closed Facebook page subject to COST social media rules.
* The MC agreed that an inclusiveness plan will be drafted, and agreed by evote.
* The MC agreed with the progress of the STSM committee and the STSM reports which had been agreed by them.
14. Closing


 

Management Committee Meeting – agenda
COST Action no. IS1405
Action Title: Building Intrapartum Research Through Health – an interdisciplinary whole system approach to understanding and contextualising physiological labour and birth (BIRTH)
Venue: Barcelona, Spain 6th May 2015

1. Welcome to participants
2. Adoption of agenda
3. Approval of minutes and matters arising of last meeting
4. Update from the Action Chair
a. Status of Action, including participating countries
b. Action budget status
c. STSM status and new applications
5. Promotion of gender balance and of Early Stage Researchers (ESR)
6. Update from the Grant Holder
7. Update from the COST Association
8. Follow-up of MoU objectives
a. Progress report of working groups
9. Scientific planning
a. Scientific strategy
b. Action Budget Planning
c. Long-term planning (including anticipated locations and dates of future activities)
d. Dissemination planning (Publications and outreach activities)
10. Requests for new members
11. Non-COST applications to the Actions
12. AOB
13. Location and date of next meeting
14. Summary of MC decisions
15. Closing


COST Action no. IS1405 – minutes
Action title: Building Intrapartum Research Through Health – an interdisciplinary whole system approach to understanding and contextualising physiological labour and birth (BIRTH) Management Committee Meeting
Venue: Barcelona, Spain 6th May 2015

Present: Soo Downe, Ramon Escuriet, Marie-Clare Balaam, Olga Gouni, Tine Eri, Lucy Frith, Katrien Beekman, Marie Berg, Anastasia Topalidou, Jean Calleja Agius, Oliver Christ, Sarah Church, Jette Aaroe Clausen, Melanie Cooper, Esther Crespo, Deirdre Daly, Anna Dencker, Serap Ejder Apay, Tine Eri, Mechthild Gross, Ayse Gurol, Ema Hresanova, Laura Iannuzzi, Maria Kazmierczak, Dineke Korfker, Alicja Kotlowska, Patricia Leah-Warren, Fatima Leon Larios, Bengt Lindstrom, Ans Luyben, Rose McCarthy, Claudia Meier Magistretti, Sandra Morano, Dragos Nemescu, Anne Britt Vika Nilsen, Ibone Olza Fernandez, Alena Parizkova, Zora Raboteg Saric, Triin Roosalu, Mario Santos, Stephanie Savona Ventura, Erika Schmidt, Slobodan Sekulic, Nicoletta Setola, Giedre Sirvinskiene, Sanja Spoljar-Vrzina, Anitra Spyridou, Yoana Stancheva, Lea Takacs, Marin Weckend, Joanna White, Jennifer Zeitlin.

1. Welcome to participants
SD welcomed all members of the Action to the Management Committee meeting.
2. Adoption of agenda
The Management Committee adopted the agenda for the meeting.
3. Approval of minutes and matters arising of last meeting
The minutes for the last meeting had already been approved by E-vote.
4. Update from the Action Chair
a. Status of Action, including participating countries
There are currently 28 countries in the Action and over 120 members.
b. Action budget status
SD presented an overview of the workplan/budget & MOU.
It was noted that all reimbursements would be paid in Euros.
c. STSM status and new applications
The Management Committee agreed with the suggestion of the STSM committee to increase the number of STSMs from 5 to 6 but the existing budget will be retained.
The Management Committee agreed to the allocation of the following STSM grants:
1. Slobodan Sekulic 1400 euros
2. Lilian Peters 900 euros
3. Panda Sunita 1400 euros
4. Kleopatra Alamantariotou 1400 euros
5. Ayse Gurol 1400 euros
6. Andria Spyridou 1000 euros
It was proposed that the call for applications for next years STSMs would be circulated in September 2015 and that candidates would be notified by the end of 2015 and so would be ready to start their STSMs from the beginning of year 2 in January 2016.
5. Promotion of gender balance and of Early Stage Researchers (ESR)
The meeting noted that the Action has a large number of ESR researchers.
6. Follow-up of MOU objectives
SD reminded the Action of the MOU objectives for each WG. Each Working Group (WG) lead was asked to ensure that the activities planned by the groups reflected these objectives.
The following  actions were requested
Actions: Working Group leads
* WG leads to submit report of activities to date to be collated and circulated by MCB
* WG leads to collate biography of all group members and what they are planning to do in their groups.
* (At least) 2 open access papers to be drafted by the October meeting. The Management Committee will then agree which papers will receive open access funding.
* WG leads to produce an Action plan for the next two years to present at the October meeting.
7. Progress report of working groups
Working Groups 1- 6, STSM, ESR and Activist groups all presented their progress to the Management Committee. (see attached reports)
The Management Committee agreed that:
* The number of places allocated to Working Group members to attend future meetings would be proportional to the relative size of the Working Groups. The allocation of places with in the groups, for meetings, would be decided by criteria agreed within the group.
* Working group leads would submit reports twice a year. These reports were to be submitted 1 month prior to Management Committee meetings, they would then be collated and circulated to all Management Committee prior to the meeting. A template for these would be produced.
Actions: * Any members who have changed groups need to let MCB know.
* ESR meeting time to be added to the programme for all future Action meetings. This meeting must not clash with STSM meeting time.
* A template for WG feedback to be developed and circulated.
8. Action Budget Planning
The issue of possible sponsorship for meetings and /or the Action activities was discussed.  It was agreed that MCB would check if this was allowed within COST regulations. If this is allowed it was agreed that an e-mail would be sent to members to discuss who the Action, or would not, accept money from.
Actions: MCB to check COST regulations re sponsorship.
The possibility of the availability of extra money for the Action from COST central was discussed as the number of member countries has increased since the beginning of the Action. Priorities for the allocation of any monies was discussed and the following was agreed by the Management Committee. If the money were to be more than 5000 euro this money would be divided amongst all the categories of the budget, if less than 5000 euro it was agreed that this would be spent on increasing the number of people invited to meetings.
Actions: MCB to check possibility of more funding with COST administration.
9. Long-term planning (including anticipated locations and dates of future activities)
The follow locations were suggested for future meetings
* Crete 5-7th October 2015
* Bergen Norway Spring 2016 Week of 9th May 2016.
* Hungary late 2016
* Italy Florence Spring 2017
The meeting discussed possible topics for training schools, workshops and the names of experts that they wanted to invite to future meetings.
Workshops : Salutogenesis ( Bengt lindström – Crete), Oxytocin, EU grant writing, epigenetics, bio mechanics, migrant women as experts
Training schools:  Statistic or longitudinal analysis, Writing EU proposals, Human rights in childbirth (linked to meeting in Hungary), Interdisciplinary research, Research/activism/praxis, Participatory Action research,
Possible experts: Migrant women as experts (linked to participatory action), Marsden Wagner, Marcus Heindrich, Nick Rubsashkin (Obstetrician linked to marginal women  & human rights issues)
Skills needed with in the Action: Maths, Computing, Health Economist, Marketing
Action:Email MC about workshop & training school preferences
d. Dissemination planning (Publications and outreach activities)
Website
The Management Committee agreed that the Action’s website should be located and produced by UCLan.
STSM book
While this book is from the previous Action, it was discussed at the meeting as it is of interest to the new action as it provides useful insights into the role of STSM within COST Actions. The book would be available on the new Action’s website. The meeting discussed if the book should be available on Amazon/kindle for a small fee and if any money raised could be used by the Action.
Action:MCB to check with COST in Brussels about this issue.
WG 6 (as detailed in the MOU) was activated to coordinate dissemination, lead by Olga Gouni. WG 6 requested the following from members of the Action to support their work;
Actions: Working Group lead, members of the Action, AL.
* A template for a poster/presentation that could be used by all members to promote the Action in their countries. AL agreed to circulate a standard poster/presentation as a template to allow Action members to easily disseminate information about the Action.
* Working Group leads to send updates to OG, lead of WG 6, each month.
* Members of the Action were asked to send any news items to OG for her newsletter
10. Non-COST applications to the Actions
Three Non- COST country applications were currently being processed, these are Chile, South Africa and Australia. The Management Committee agreed to accept these applications for membership.
11. AOB
The issue of the non attendance of Management Committee members who signed in on the attendance sheets but then did not participate in meetings was discussed. It was agreed that all members of the Action would be required to sign in am & pm to ensure full participation.
The issue of Intellectual property rights for Working Groups, specifically for groups who may be producing products/techniques was raised, it was agreed that this would be put on the agenda for the next Management Committee meeting.
Actions:MCB to link WG lead with other COST Actions who may have experience with this issue.
12. Location and date of next meeting
The Management Committee agreed that the next meeting would be held in Crete, Greece 5th-7th October  and that Anastasia Topalidou was to the Local Organiser working with the Hellenic Union for Prenatal & Perinatal Psychology & Medicine.
13. Summary of MC decisions
* Next meeting to be held in Crete, Greece, 5-7th October 2015, local organiser was to be Anastasia Topalidou working with the Hellenic Union for Prenatal & Perinatal Psychology & Medicine.
* The Management Committee agreed with the suggestion of the STSM committee to increase the number of STSMs from 5 to 6 but the existing budget will be retained. The Management Committee agreed to the allocation of the following STSM grants: Slobodan Sekulic 1400e, Lilian Peters 900e,Panda Sunita 1400e, Kleopatra Alamantariotou 1400e, Ayse Gurol 1400e, Andria Spyridou 1000e.
* The Management Committee agreed that the Action’s website should be located and produced by UCLan.
* The number of places allocated to Working Group members to attend future meetings would be proportional to the relative size of the Working Groups. The allocation of places with in the groups, for meetings, would be decided by criteria agreed within the group.
* Working Group leads would submit reports twice a year. These reports were to be submitted 1 month prior to Management Committee meetings, they would then be collated and circulated to all Management Committee prior to the meeting. A template for these would be produced.
14. Closing


 

Advertisements